After the creation of my site wireframes for the redesign of the live music venue, and the birth of my usability tests, it was time to put the two head to head and see how they fared. I had 5 participants – whose identity I will keep anonymous as part of the confidentiality requested – to take on three tasks that I designed to truly test the outcome of my redesign. Overall the usability tests revealed faults in some little…

View Post

In order to create a functional and aesthetically pleasing site, a designer needs to ensure that it is not catered only to their tastes but to the users intended to interact with the site, to fulfill the purpose outlined within the brief. After re-visiting the brief I allocated to this project, I came up with three usability tests to ensure three things: efficiency, effectiveness and satisfaction – as recommended in CAGD290. The three tasks include: Find the address of the…

View Post

After I reached a point where I was satisfied with the layout and spacing of my wireframes it was time to go about constructing working wireframes for the live music venue website I am redesigning. Using Adobe InDesign, I constructed the six pages that make up the venues location, including the Home, About, Menu, Event, Gallery, and Contact page. While most of the content already exists within the old site, the purpose of this construction is to visualise and prototype…

View Post

Planning is in full swing… This week I spent my time constructing wireframes in order to map out exactly how the site will look and where all its elements will fit in. Wireframes are a powerful tool to use as a mock up, so designers can work out exactly how the site will all fit together and be able to make adjustments without affecting functionality to a greater extent. I used Illustrator – the program I feel strongest in –…

View Post

Getting down to business – with the aesthetics and the functions of the music venue website clearly defined (read my last blog post here), I have narrowed down further the direction I will take this redesign. I began by mapping out the website using a site map diagram, in order to clearly define exactly where the content will belong on the site. Considering the content distribution was actually fairly justified in where is was placed, huge restructure to the mapping…

View Post